Monday 9 April 2007

Holiday punishment

Firstly, my apologies for not updating the blog in the last 3 weeks. I have been on hols in Florida with the wife and kids during this time and had no PC access. It won't happen again, honest !!

During this time I virtually did no training at all due to the heat and the desire to relax, save for two pathetic 20 minute jogs around the complex and one fast walk of just over 2 miles. However, I am claiming visiting the theme parks as part of training as you are on your feet for about 8 hours per day and must walk about 5 miles around them per visit. Well that's my claim and am sticking to it !

I must admit I really did miss the routine of my training schedule and have come back home with extra vigour and sense of purpose. I am determined to make the most of the next 10 weeks.

With this in mind, I went out this morning with Matthew Haddock, who was a first time Parish finisher last year. He came up with a fantastic loop route which went :- Rushen Church - Sloc - Round Table - Glen Maye - Arrasey Plantation- Round Table- Colby- Rushen Church. In all we covered 20.5 miles in 4 hours and 20min. Not that quick at just over 4.7 mph but we covered some good hill climbs and I got to savour the challenge of the Sloc for the first time ever.

Mind you, that well-known climb pales into insignificance when you take on the awesome hill when you turn right at the Old Post Office at Glen Maye. I believe it is called Molluc Vellyn ( not sure about spelling ) and it must be one of the steepest hills, if not the steepest, on the island. I had never encountered it before -it is a one track road and I swear at one lung busting point I was about 3 foot tall due to the rise and my body shape.It was literally like walking up a wall and I thought we would have to make base camp at one point !The incline is only about half a mile in distance( feels like 2 ) and I would love to know the % rise of the entire slope. Seriously, if you have never been up there, have a bash and I dare you to tell me I'm wrong ! However, it was a really good session and most beneficial to both of us - especially to Matt as he was hung over !

It was also informative to walk part of the Parish course too and this is something I intend to repeat over the coming weeks. I am not totally happy I know the way around the Maughold / Ballajora area and this will be my next assualt of the course, hopefully on Sunday.

I can't believe it is just over 10 weeks to the race and I can't wait for the challenge - I feel like a kid in December. The evenings are getting longer, the weather warming up and the entry list on the Parish Walk site ever growing - I love Spring !

No comments: